Wednesday, November 26, 2008

what to write

I’ve missed talking about a couple of abandonments we’ve visited lately. I can’t quite remember, but I may have also missed putting up the address of my new website (built for me by my exploring partner) where all my photos are now going. The site for seeing my photos is secondlaw.net – the main text has appeared here. I will now also be setting off as a blogger to blog the exploring on that site. But I am not abandoning this blogsite. I will not leave this site to deteriorate and be explored by virtual explorers in some dark electron-disintegrated future. I will maintain this blog and continue my writing practice here. Promise.

A colleague just published a book wherein she writes short essays about people who’ve influenced her life in various ways but who are now dead. I wish I’d thought of that. I would like to present a twist on the theme. What could it be? People who’ve influenced my life who are now executed? People who’ve influenced the lives of people who are close to me but who are now dead? I’ve always loved (among pretty much all her review writing) Dorothy Parker’s assessment of Margot Asquith (wife of the 1908-16, British Prime Minister, she was a writer well known in London’s social circles). Asquith’s autobiography told of her many encounters with important folk. Parker noted “I don’t say that Margot Asquith actually permits us to rub elbows with them ourselves, but she willingly shows us her own elbow which has been, so to say, honed on the mighty.” So I thought I might write about other people’s dead folks, show off my elbow that I’ve rubbed with them. We shall see how it comes out.

No comments: