Thursday, September 09, 2010

why work

That's pretty much my question. Why do I have to work? I'm feeling a bit overworked (whatever "a bit" means in reference to "overwork"). And I'm thinking I'd like to have my first job back -- a candy stand attendant in a movie theatre. (Although I'd like to make the salary I'm making now.) The theatre I worked in didn't sell popcorn -- the management thought it attracted rats. But even though there was no popcorn to be seen anywhere in the vicinity of the stand, people would still approach me and ask for popcorn. That's how ingrained popcorn at the movies is. Near the end of my time there a man came to the counter and asked for popcorn. In my usual way, I said "I'm sorry, we don't sell popcorn." He looked at me and very quietly he said "bubblehead" and walked away.

No comments: