Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mets game

A day’s break from the Lonaconing adventure (we’re return to the silk mill tomorrow). Last night I caught a Mets/Nationals game at National Park in the nation’s capitol. You can only see the capitol from a small corner of the upper deck, but the ballpark is advertised to have a view of the great building. Last night, September 17, was half-Patty’s day: halfway between St. Patrick’s days. Miller Lite provided Kelly green baseball caps with the Nationals “W” – although to me it looks like the Walgreens “W.” The Mets scored two homeruns in the first inning and never gave up the lead. I love seeing games with my friend Kate because her former boss is usually there too and he is also a Mets fan. We cheer delightedly together, DC seems to attract a lot of Mets fans. I only had to leave a tiny bit early (saw the first out of the bottom of the ninth) to catch my MARC train home. In NY we call bad fans – for instance those who leave a game early, behave badly, or get publicly drunk – Yankee fans. A good fan always stays till the final out. Because in baseball, as we all know, it ain’t over till it’s over.

1 comment:

words66 said...

You better return to Lonaconing, we haven't escaped yet! And I was the poor sucker who got out last. I fully appreciate that baseball is important, however, skipping an episode like this is very reminiscent of network tv back home -- they show US tv series with no respect to what order the episodes should be shown in.

I'd like a little continuity here, baseball or no baseball. Once Lonaconing is over you can write what you please. It's always good to finish what you start, don't you think?