Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Henryton I

We had to escape from our latest institution – a long closed, and reputedly haunted mental institution. Henryton closed its doors in 1985. As with several hospitals of its era it opened, in 1923, as a TB sanitarium and was later converted into something else, in this case an institution of human suffering. The buildings, looking very island-like in their white stucco with turquoise trim, are badly vandalized by taggers and strippers. But much of the flavor of sadness remains.

Unlike at the Rosewood Training Center, we didn’t see bars on the windows or any rooms that were clearly used as holding cells for unruly patient. It definitely seemed a lower level security than Rosewood which makes a certain sense since patients admitted to Henryton were funneled through Rosewood Center.

We arrived mid morning to find the gate across the only entryway wide open. My exploring partner had said the gate would be padlocked so we’d been prepared to park and walk down the long, steep driveway. But coming upon the invitation, we drove right in. The complex is much smaller than Rosewood and is dwarfed by Forest Haven, but still the driveway wound around a few large buildings and several smaller houses. We parked neatly in a space marked “visitor parking” – although the print stenciled on the wall was hard to see through the graffiti – and disembarked our vehicle. Now began the long process of preparing to meet the elements. It was a frigid day, with a biting wind and we were about to test out our new winter gear.

In the trunk were our new puffy Dickies coveralls, insulation rated for stationary work outside. I felt like a kid in a snowsuit as I stepped into it and did up the zippers on each leg and the one up my front. Snapping the leg openings around my ankles was a bit of a challenge – bending down was now harder than usual and the snaps were stubborn – but with help I finally got them fastened. There was a face cover over the lower half of said face, a scarf, a hat that pulled down over my whole head, gloves, and finally I put my jacket back on over the coveralls. The only part of me showing was my eyes, I definitely looked criminal-like. Quickly, the neoprene face cover came off – it was too hard to breathe and when we were inside wind wasn’t a factor. But the hat still pulled down over my face so I remained partially hidden. I still looked like a cop show robber. But I was warm.

All of me, that is, except my toes. They felt like little blocks of ice and after only about half an hour it began to feel unbearable. We’d bought toe-warmers, that stuff you expose to air then stick on your socks and it warms up so I tried it out. This required removing my boots, not a happy activity in this cold and dirt. But the end result was a happy face. My toes stayed toasty all day long (after one readjustment of the toe pad’s positioning – yet another boot removal). When I got home that night, after much brou-ha-ha (coming later) the pads were still warm. Still warm when I remembered to peel them off my socks at about 11 PM just before I went to bed. These are a good product.

1 comment:

words66 said...

What "brou-ha-ha"? We just got a little held up is all, whats 40 mins here or there? Remember no exaggerating in Henryton 11.