Monday, August 25, 2008

Convention

Well Olympics jail is over and I’m now in Democratic Convention jail with a kicker from the US Open in case there’s a break in the Convention schedule. I’m such a sap, I love hearing all the hopeful speeches talking about how we’re going to make a difference. It reminds me of the 60’s Bobby Kennedy rallies I stood at cheering my little heart out. I love seeing the big tent of all the authentically diverse people at the Convention – not like the created diversity of the other party. Attending a Democratic Convention is on my list of things I want to do before I die. I really want to go as a delegate, but I’d go in any capacity if I could. I wish I were at this one, it’s going to be historic. If I were there, I’d be on the floor every possible minute just drinking it all in. It’s almost 8 PM and Nancy Pelosi will be out to speak in a few minutes. Then Teddy if he’s well enough – that’ll be a moment. I remember leaving work one day in 1980 to attend a Teddy for President rally in midtown. He was challenging Carter for the nomination that year and maybe if he’d have defeated Reagan. Maybe. I wish I were in Denver. Tonight is apparently American flag night. Maybe later they’ll have Michelle signs.

No comments: