Friday, May 16, 2008

dollars

At the bank today I tried to get the latest golden dollar. It’s just a manifestation of my compulsion to collect things. I collect golden dollars, state quarters, wheat pennies, cobalt glass, other colored glass (only deeply saturated colors), luster ware, political buttons, other buttons, postcards, matchbooks, small television sets (not real), martini shakers, bowls, vintage men’s scarves, vintage kitchen ware, Manhattan deco pattern bowls, cartoons, books on the Titanic, books about the death penalty, movies about the death penalty, I’m sure there’s more stuff that I can’t remember…

She didn’t have any dollars for me, only the old ones. And she told me that in order for the branch to send the dollars back to the government, she needed to have a thousand of them. They have to go in the box and the box holds a thousand. She seemed almost desperate when she said that right now she has only seven hundred. And I’m betting she’s been collecting them since they were released. Over a year. And only seven hundred. They’re clearly not a collection point for the golden dollars.

On the bright side the delightful teller seems to remember me. I bank the old fashioned way – at least for deposits – at the window.

No comments: