Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Israel's birthday

When I was in seventh grade I was required to write a report about a country. Since I was one of two Jews in the entire school the teachers would often “encourage” me to do Jewish oriented subjects. It was so helpful in my objective to totally blend in. I can’t remember if this was one of those times or if it was my own choice, but I did Israel. I don’t remember anything about writing the report, it was one of those reproduce-the-encyclopedia 7th grade papers. What I do remember is being shocked to find out that Israel had been in existence for only twenty years. It must have been a spring assignment because I remember giving the oral part of the report and saying that the anniversary is next month.

So today is Israel’s sixtieth anniversary. Apparently Harry Truman recognized the new state within seconds of its declaring itself a state. And today our embarrassing president is there saying both Israel and the US are committed to peace. (Somehow I just don’t feel authenticity from him.) Sixty years and never any peace. Sixty years and thousands of Palestinians displaced with more settlements germinating every day. Sixty years and a homeland with an anthem in a minor key. Joy and gratitude, melancholy and disaster. Will the pain make us stronger? Will the unceasing conflict bring wisdom? Will there ever be kindness?

No comments: