Wednesday, May 28, 2008

tasks

Summer. Do I have any time off? Not yet. I have a busier work schedule than during the regular semester. My summer class is enormous – 17. I’m hoping one or two or seven might drop, but somehow I doubt it. I thought I’d head off the possibility of so many by holding the class at 8 AM, but no luck in that area. At least the search committee I’m on will be completing its work quickly. I hope. I really wanted to get away for a real vacation this summer. But I need to get the house painted, give the graduate a real gift, maybe two. I’m hoping for a long weekend somewhere. Anywhere. But what I really need is at least a week. I still haven’t even started the long list of summer stuff I need to do. I mean literally – I haven’t begun making the list. I’m a dedicated list maker. I hear myself giving this list-making advice and it’s beginning to feel slightly neurotic. “Write it down.” “Make a list of everything you need to find out about.” I hear the words leaving my mouth and I wonder who is speaking. It sounds a little bit like a crazy woman. Or a woman with a desperate memory. And then when people can’t answer about the things I want them to know about I want to chastise them for not writing them down. “Why didn’t you make a list?” It feels just slightly compulsive. But it works for me. In a firmly organized and ordered sort of way. Yes. I can control these tasks. These tasks won’t run roughshod over me. I can corral them, round ‘em up, and bring ‘em in. Weeeeee ha.

No comments: