Thursday, April 10, 2008

Expectations

Expectations. How they mess with us. My saying about it is this: the second I have expectations, I’m fucked. And how true it is. When I go into a situation wanting a particular thing to come of it I am always disappointed. Always. Because what I want will never be the outcome. It’ll be something worse, something better, something entirely unexpected. Whatever it is, it’ll not be what I thought would happen. I might be happily surprised. I might be bitterly disappointed. I might be bitterly surprised. But it most decidedly will not be what I was thinking it would be.

The Tao says that truth waits for eyes unclouded by longing. Desire bends our actions into misshapen brittle twigs. Expectations cloak us in a fog genuine experience cannot penetrate.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So much for my expectation of you buying me an ice cream sundae.