Thursday, April 03, 2008

Washington

The cherry blossoms were beautiful as usual. I have a photo somewhere of me when I was about 8 years old, sitting in one of those paddle boats that people take out on the tidal basin. I remember really enjoying that trip, but my father tells me I did nothing but whine. How idyllic it is that our memories permit us to enjoy what at the time we may have hated. I returned to DC years later with my friend Marion when I was living in NY. We had a Washington DC vacation. It was mostly dead people – monuments, cemeteries, art. No cherry blossoms. But I enjoyed that one too. And now I live down here. I love being close enough to my nation’s capital to go blithely to a protest for an afternoon. I can take up so many additional causes. What fun.

Interesting that a sign along the tidal basin path says it is visitor information, but really it's a series of commands. It's just a big do not.






The FDR Memorial has so many pieces to it, it covers a huge area. In this part we find out that apparently he did not like war. I agree.


1 comment:

Gil said...

You're doing so well at this and noticing great things! Content Challenge must last forever for you!!!