Friday, April 11, 2008

A good fit

It took me ages to figure out how clothes are supposed to fit me. For years I was buying the wrong size, too large because I didn’t understand that clothing was not supposed to hang on your body lifelessly. I didn’t understand that some clinginess was expected, that you were not supposed to look like a house draped with one of those gigantic flags you see at used car lots. (“Bigger than my house” is what I say every time I pass one of those enormous pieces of star spangled drapery.) I can’t even imagine what I used to look like before I understood this. But apparently I am not alone. Tim Gunn has based an entire Bravo TV show on helping people understand that they’re wearing clothes that do not fit. They don’t fit physically, they don’t fit chronologically, they don’t fit style-wise, and they don’t fit emotionally. We do love Tim, he’s gentle and non-threatening, and he seems able to explain what he means – a rare quality. I still sometimes have problems understanding proper fit, but I’ve grown better over the years. Now if I just had some hair to mess about with. Ah me.

No comments: