Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Hillary I (beause I'm sure there'll be more)

Driving up Charles Street today I saw a car with four homemade bumper stickers taped to its trunk. “Stop her” “Stop her now” “Put her in her place” “Vote for Obama” Such venom. The driver was an old hippie – male. And people continue to argue that misogyny is not a part of Hillary Clinton’s undoing. They don’t even see it – how people say things about her they’d never, ever, ever say about a male candidate. Because it’s acceptable to speak with that kind of derision and contempt about a woman. Even when a woman is doing the speaking.

1 comment:

Gil said...

While I agree that the discourse about Hillory has reached unacceptable levels of misogyny, I feel she is is a monster who needs to be eliminated from public life. And this is said not as an Obama supporter but as someone who seeks truth and civility in campaigning. I feel she is a pterodactyl of negativity who will sweep back into power those corporatist functionaries who dragged down the democratic party before. I'm tired of that shit. I'm not going to vote for someone just because she is a woman. I'd love a woman president, but Hillary is corrupt and beholden to too many evil influences.